It is easy to purchase apple cider vinegar in stores, but you can also make it at home very cheaply. Let’s take a look at the recipe.
- Leftovers of apples (cores or peels)
- Plastic or ceramic bowl (not metal)
- Wooden spoon
- Cut the collected apple scraps into small cubes (about 1cm in size)
- Cover the apple cubes with enough water to cover them completely.
- Then add two tablespoons of sugar (this will feed the bacteria that ferment the apple pieces)
- If the cubes are not fully covered, use a plate. If a few pieces of apple stick out, they can ruin the whole apple cider vinegar
- Store the apple vinegar in a dry, cool, dark place (preferably a cupboard)
- Stir the apple vinegar every day for 3 weeks
- After 3 weeks, strain the apple vinegar into a glass container and store it in the refrigerator
How long does homemade apple vinegar last?
Apple cider vinegar will keep for several months in the refrigerator. We have tested it for 6 months.
What to do with homemade apple vinegar?
Do not use the finished apple vinegar for food! During the fermentation process, bacteria can appear and cause undesirable effects! You can use homemade apple cider vinegar as:
- hair conditioner
- a skin tonic
- household cleaner