Buying vegetables and fruit organically can significantly help protect the environment. In this article, we will show you some tips on how to do this.
Tips for buying fruit and vegetables organically
- Buy fruit and vegetables from local farmers who use organic or sustainable farming methods.
- Buy fruit and vegetables that are seasonal to your location
- Try to limit the purchase of fruit and vegetables that have to be imported from long distances
- Try to avoid buying pre-packaged fruit and vegetables
- Use reusable bags or at least bags that are biodegradable
- Only buy quantities that you can eat or process so that you don’t have to throw away leftovers
- Buy produce that is not conspicuously shiny, as such produce is often chemically treated. Choose natural-looking fruit and vegetables instead.
Why buy from local farmers?
Buying fruit and vegetables from local farmers supports the local economy. When you buy produce from local farms, you help keep money in your region. Often, fruits and vegetables from your area are also tastier than produce imported from far away. Local produce doesn’t have to travel as far and doesn’t need as much chemical treatment.